Offering Counseling Services in Person and via Secure Video
Thank you for visiting my website. On this homepage, I discuss my practice and how I provide mental health counseling, both in person and via secure video.
I am actively supporting people in coping with the huge changes that have come about due to the pandemic. Make no mistake, this is a difficult time for most of us. If you feel that this is an ideal time to get support and guidance in taking a look at your life and what you want going forward, I'd be happy to chat with you to see if we're a good fit.
You can engage in an empowering counseling relationship without having to endure the frustrating waiting period--I am usually able to see clients within about one week of the initial contact. In our work together, you will have the opportunity to learn practical tools for coping with Depression, Trauma, Anger, Grief, Guilt, and Anxiety, and/or other relevant issues as they are relevant to you.
If you have endured an emotional, physical, or sexual trauma, you can find more information about living and coping with trauma on this page. I work with many trauma survivors and would be happy to support you in your journey in coping with and overcoming the trauma you've endured.
I'm happy that you chose to visit my website! On other pages on this site, I will elaborate on how I can be a helpful resource to you or your business through counseling or consulting.
To get a better sense of me, feel free to check out this 3 minute YouTube video in which I share my thoughts on the counseling experience and how I see myself as a helping professional.
You're most likely looking for someone whom you feel has the expertise and wisdom to help you. A good therapist has the compassion, empathy, and skills to empower you to be the best you can be. If you want to explore past experiences or old wounds and trauma, I can help you work toward healing. If you want to stay in the present and focus on the here and now, I'll meet you where you're at.
Practical Therapy Tools That Make a Difference in Your Life!
With over 17 years of experience in the mental health field, I can bring a wealth of practical, knowledge to your fingertips. This includes:
* Practical, evidence-based therapy techniques - including Dialectical-Behavior Therapy, Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Existential Therapy, and more.
* More than a decade of empowering individuals and couples in coping successfully with relationship problems, depression, remorse, grief and loss, low self-esteem, codependent traits, and more
* Over a decade of experience supporting trauma survivors
* The insight and knowledge that partnering with you and empowering you - rather than telling you what you should do - is the best way to help you work towards your goals and overcome your challenges
* Almost a decade of experience working as a community-based mental health therapist, including working with couples, helping partners develop and sustain a healthier intimate relationship.
* Direct experience working with people who suffer from serious mental health conditions such as Schizophrenia and Bi-Polar Disorder. For more on Schizophrenia, click here.
* Many years of working as a college instructor, as well as working with college students trying to overcome mental health and/or career obstacles.
* Supervision of over 50 mental health clinicians, including forty-five that I am currently supervising or having supervised towards professional licensure
* Consultation for your business, to help you and your team work together in a more synergistic way
Gene Obersinner, LCSW
Choosing The Right Therapist Is Crucial
You need a therapist you can trust, one with integrity and competence. A therapist who
- Helps you bring forth and maximize your strengths and resilience
- Supports you in facing the major challenges that you are facing
- Encourage you to learn from your past while moving towards a brighter future
- Helps you to clarify your most important personal values and make conscious decisions about living your life in a manner consistent with these values.
- Empowers you to be the best person you can be
- Works with you as you focus on setting and setting specific goals--more on setting goals on this page
Therefore, choosing the right counselor, one that fits who you are, is critical. Choosing a good match can be daunting, given all the therapists out there. Make sure that you:
- Set up an initial meeting, making it clear that this is a consultation, after which you can both decide on the direction of counseling
- Be open and honest about your problems. Ask the therapist if he/she feels that they can help you. Do they have an idea of HOW they can help you?
- After the initial appointment, do some introspection. Think about the connection between you and the counselor you just met.
- Did the counselor treat you as an equal partner, one that will work with you to empower you in being your best?
- Consider the degree to which you think this counselor listened to you, tried to step into your world and truly understand what you are facing in your life
- Finally, if it's a good fit, go for it. If not, look for someone else. Finding the right fit is worth your persistence.
What is Counseling All About?
I'm so glad you asked! It is very important to have a sense of what the counseling process is about, from your counselors perspective--believe me when I say that this varies greatly from one practitioner to another! And of course, I will also be very attentive to what you want to get out of the experience.
For more details on what to expect from the counseling process, check out this page.
Getting Your Team to Optimize its Potential
Are you a manager or supervisor at your workplace? One of the most challenging aspects of a manager's job is to get everyone working in the same direction, while communicating well and maximizing their potential as a team. I work with agencies and companies in order to help managers and team members accomplish just that. More on this here.
Book Recommendations Page