If your intimate relationship has reached the point where you are considering couples therapy, your problems are almost certainly not new ones…..and since you’re reading this, it’s quite possible you are throwing your hands up in the air and saying ‘I don’t know what to do!”
The fact that you are reading this page means you haven’t given up. If
you want a neutral and professional view of your relationship, you’ve
come to the right place. In my experience, couples therapy can help if you are
* having communication problems with your partner
* are avoiding discussion of the real issues in your relationship
* are finding that you tend to be codependent with your partner (more on this later)
* unsure of how to share your thoughts and feelings with your partner
* struggling with trust after infidelity
This is by no means an exhaustive list. If you think couples counseling could help, feel free to consult with me at any time
PLEASE NOTE: My rates for couples counseling are $55-85 per session. You set the rate within that scale, based on your ability to pay.
important point: If you are feeling physically threatened or are being
physically or sexually abused by your partner, it is wise to seek
support. This can take the form of
* seeing a mental health counselor individually
* calling WomenSpace here in Eugene at 1-800-281-2800 or the national hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE
If you are having relationship problems, you are most likely also having communication problems. Listening is the cornerstone of effective communication. If you haven’t done so already, read my page on active listening.
Being able to listen effectively, with a mindset of genuine interest, is fundamental to the well-being of a close relationship. Other fundamentals include:
If you feel that you are working a lot harder than your partner to make things work, and/or are taking care of your partner more than he/she is of him/herself, you may be acting in a codependent fashion in the relationship. Check out my page on codependence or see WebMD for more on this issue. In any case, a consultation with me about individual or couples therapy is always welcome.